What I Am All About

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Lies, Infant Death, and Restaurants

My Quora Answer to:

As a doctor, what is the most dangerous truth a patient has confessed in front of you?

That a baby's death was the fault of a restaurant.

I signed into an ER shift one morning in Waupan, WI. The previous doc declared a dead infant just minutes beforehand. A very astute and caring nurse approached me and said that the baby was already cold and blue and lifeless on arrival. In other words, it was DOA.

I contacted the police and told a friend there about my concerns. He investigated further and discovered that the biological dad had fallen asleep drunk and suffocated the baby in his sleep.

All parties went to prison.

ADDENDUM (More details since my original Answer didn't explain everything).

What grandma and mom did was bring the corpse to a local restaurant pretending the infant was still alive. Dad stayed at home to remove himself from the situation. Partway through breakfast, mom started screaming, “my baby's not breathing! Call 911!”

Of course someone did, but when mom and grandma arrived at the ER, they told the doc and nurses that (1) there must have been a gas leak at the restaurant that killed the baby, and (2) the restaurant staff waited too long to call 911. They had the whole charade planned out in advance. It took a very wise and observant nurse to point out to me after the shift change that the child had been dead for hours on arrival, not just several minutes. I believed her and called a cop friend of mine who then led an investigation leading to charges and eventual conviction of all three.

http://bit.ly/32eg4TL

No comments:

Post a Comment