What I Am All About

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

DMSO Part One

 I was blessed to come across a copy of Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw’s phenomenal book “Life Extension, A Practical Scientific Approach” (published 1982) while in my first year of medical school and I credit it with giving me that edge that got me through. Dave Asprey of Bulletproof fame claims that he is the “father of biohacking.” That’s debatable, but if so, Shaw and Pearson are the grandparents.


One excellent resource they turned me on to is dimethyl sulfoxide, or DMSO. They recommend it for delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) which is the muscle and joint pain you experience after physical exertion because it is anti-inflammatory and an analgesic. It is called the universal solvent because it dissolves both oil and water-based substances. Its metabolites leave a garlic-like taste in your mouth but the higher the purity, the less the odor. From Wikipedia:

This colorless liquid is the sulfoxide most widely used commercially. It is an important polar aprotic solvent that dissolves both polar and nonpolar compounds and is miscible in a wide range of organic solvents as well as water. It has a relatively high boiling point. DMSO is metabolized to compounds that leave a garlic-like taste in the mouth after DMSO is absorbed by skin.”


Because of its solvent prowess and ability to be absorbed through the skin, it is an admirable carrier medium for other beneficial chemicals. I recently bought some at the local Rural King farm supply store here in Paducah (99% pure) and added generic BenGay (methyl salicylate) and capsaicin ointment. The methyl salicylate is anti-inflammatory and analgesic, too. It also dilates skin capillaries, increasing blood flow (a “rubefacient effect”). Capsaicin does all that too, but it also directly blocks pain receptors and inactivates neuropeptide release from peripheral nerve endings. Let’s just say this: the combination works well, at least for me. Results may vary.

https://bit.ly/4cwBgJ7 


DISCLAIMER: Although I am a retired physician, everything I post about our health and safety is NOT medical advice. The posts are solely about recommendations based on my own experiences, a ton of research, and occasionally anecdotes from others. If you follow any of my recommendations, after all it is your own body, be aware of any side-effects and risks. The main side-effects of topical DMSO are skin irritation and garlic breath, both of which usually dissipate in less than a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment